Visiting the San Francisco Bay Area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stupac2

Reaction score
So you're visiting San Francisco and want to know where to go? Well here's a compendium of places to go and things to do. If you have any questions feel free to ask here, but please search the thread first!

SF City:
Mikkeller Bar: Expensive but will often have hard-to-find stuff on tap or in bottle.
City Beer Store: Also expensive, pretty good selection, sometimes has rare stuff on tap.
Toronado: Typically cheap, some rarer stuff can be expensive. Sometimes good or awesome bottles on. Cable Car shows up on the list irregularly. Cash only.
Healthy Spirits: Expensive, good stuff usually disappears quickly because of beer club.
Magnolia: Good food, pretty good beer.
Monk's Kettle: Expensive, but sometimes has hard-to-find stuff. Good food. Tiny place, will be crowded during regular bar hours.
Abbot's Cellar: Same people as Monk's Kettle, more food-oriented.
Churchkey (North Beach): A smaller, kind of hidden bar near the corner of Grant and Green. Always seems to have an impressive selection of beers on tap.

Oakland/Berkeley:
Beer Revolution/Olde Depot: Cheapish, good bottle selection, sometimes rarer stuff on tap/in bottle.
Trappist/Trappist Provisions: Expensive, sometimes rarer stuff on tap. Provisions has bottles, sometimes
Linden St Brewing: Good low-ABV lager styles. Food trucks outside occasionally.
Ledger's: Good selection, decent prices, sometimes has hard-to-find stuff, supposedly keep lots of older stuff in the back.
Hog's Apothecary: New, good selection, good but expensive food.

East Bay:
Drake's Brewing (San Leandro): Decent-to-good beer, food trucks on some weekend days.
Cork n Bottle (Fremont): Good selection for the location, a few taps.
Mission Liquors (Fremont): Good selection for the location, several taps.
The Bistro (Hayward): Hosts a lot of awesome festivals, check to see if there's one on while you're here. Sometimes has fun stuff on tap otherwise.
Øl Beercafe (Walnut Creek): Quality tap list and a large selection of bottles. Owned by the same people as The Trappist, so it's very similar.

Penninsula:
Harry's Hofbrau (Redwood City): Cheapish, good selection of taps and bottles, rarer stuff on occasionally. Buffet food.
Gourmet Haus Staudt (Redwood City): German beer, German food, good if that's what you're looking for. Also has a few American guest taps.
Ale Arsenal: (San Carlos) Good selection of craft beer on tap (24 taps, 1 cask, 100 bottles to go). Good prices. No food served but you can bring food in. Next door is Refuge, which makes an incredible (and expensive) pastrami sandwich.
Willows Market: (Menlo Park) Large inventory of bottles. Bit pricey. Good place to grab a sandwich and browse bottles. Monday nights is food truck night.

North Bay:
Russian River: No explanation needed.
Bottle Barn: Incredibly cheap, often has RR bottles cheaper than the brewery, good selection with occasional rarities, has styro shippers if you need them.
Lagunitas: Almost always has a barrel aged beer or two on tap. Just a heads up if you guys are passing by Petaluma. Each one I have had has been excellent, and at $5 a glass, it's a steal.
Moylan's/Marin Brewing: Decent pub food, decent-to-good beer.
Mill Valley Beerworks: Good beer, good food.
Bear Republic: Good-to-great beer (get Tartare if it's on), pub food.

South Bay:
Liquid Bread Gastro Pub (Campbell): taps rotate daily, occasionally has some rare beers.
Spread (Campbell): Nice little deli with a great selection of bottles
Harry's Hofbrau (Saratoga): same as above
Good Karma (San Jose): Vegan spot with good bottle selection. and the food is not that bad
Orginal Gravity Pub House (San Jose): Place is really small but they taps rotate daily and they have a lot of tap takeovers

Santa Cruz (and environs):
Sante Adairius Rustic Ales (Capitola): Very good beer all-around. Irregular bottle releases. Usually one (and only one) beer on for growler fills. Will fill any container.
Aptos St BBQ (Aptos): Good BBQ for the bay area, close to SARA. Has a few dozen solid taps too.

All over:
Whole Foods: Sometimes the best selections for the area, a few select stores have taprooms, good prices.
BevMo: Sometimes have rarer stuff, but it leaves pretty quickly. Good prices. Warm storage of beer, and it's often old. Not a bad option, but generally weak stores for beer.

(This is incomplete, I'll need some help filling this out. The goal is to have a pretty comprehensive list of the places that are actually worth visiting.)

Last edited:
Lagunitas almost always has a barrel aged beer or two on tap. Just a heads up if you guys are passing by Petaluma. Each one I have had has been excellent, and at $5 a glass, it's a steal.

So you're visiting San Francisco and want to know where to go? Well here's a compendium of places to go and things to do. If you have any questions feel free to ask here, but please search the thread first!

SF City:
Mikkeller Bar: Expensive but will often have hard-to-find stuff on tap or in bottle.
City Beer Store: Also expensive, pretty good selection, sometimes has rare stuff on tap.
Toronado: Typically cheap, some rarer stuff can be expensive. Sometimes good or awesome bottles on. Cable Car shows up on the list irregularly. Cash only.

Oakland:
Beer Revolution/Olde Depot: Cheapish, good bottle selection, sometimes rarer stuff on tap/in bottle.
Trappist/Trappist Provisions: Expensive, sometimes rarer stuff on tap. Provisions has bottles, sometimes
Linden St Brewing: Good low-ABV lager styles. Food trucks outside occasionally.

East Bay:
Drake's Brewing (San Leandro): Decent-to-good beer, food trucks on some weekend days.
Cork n Bottle (Fremont): Good selection for the location, a few taps.
Mission Liquors (Fremont): Good selection for the location, several taps.

Penninsula:
Harry's Hofbrau (Redwood City): Cheapish, good selection of taps and bottles, rarer stuff on occasionally. Buffet food.
Gourmet Haus Staudt (Redwood City): German beer, German food, good if that's what you're looking for.

North Bay:
Russian River: No explanation needed.
Bottle Barn: Incredibly cheap, often has RR bottles cheaper than the brewery, good selection with occasional rarities, has styro shippers if you need them.

All over:
Whole Foods: Sometimes the best selections for the area, a few select stores have taprooms, good prices.

(This is incomplete, I'll need some help filling this out. The goal is to have a pretty comprehensive list of the places that are actually worth visiting.)
THERE HAVE ALREADY BEEN LIKE 800 THREADS ON THIS, DO YOU EVEN READ OP?!

not srs

Lagunitas almost always has a barrel aged beer or two on tap. Just a heads up if you guys are passing by Petaluma. Each one I have had has been excellent, and at $5 a glass, it's a steal.
Hmm, apparently the OP can't edit posts indefinitely in this forum. Gene, any chance we can get that added?

Thoughts on including Moylan's (good beer and food, some stuff is great; same for Marin Brewing co) and BevMo as worth visiting? I think they are, especially BevMo if some out of stater wants to fill a suit case with nice shelf turds. And there has to be another place in Marin besides maybe Moylan's and Marin Brewing co.
I haven't been to Hopmonk Novato but was told it's nice though a bit pricey.
I'd also say Taps in Petaluma is worth a stop.

Anyway, I'll be in CA soon, what kind of distribution does Almanac have? Does it make it to Marin or Sonoma county?
Any up and coming beers/breweries (new in the last year or two) I should look out for?

Thoughts on including Moylan's (good beer and food, some stuff is great; same for Marin Brewing co) and BevMo as worth visiting? I think they are, especially BevMo if some out of stater wants to fill a suit case with nice shelf turds. And there has to be another place in Marin besides maybe Moylan's and Marin Brewing co.
I haven't been to Hopmonk Novato but was told it's nice though a bit pricey.
I'd also say Taps in Petaluma is worth a stop.
All good suggestions. I'm pretty weak on the North Bay outside of RR, so that's why I missed those places. I'd need a writeup from you (or someone) on Taps because I know nothing about them.
Anyway, I'll be in CA soon, what kind of distribution does Almanac have? Does it make it to Marin or Sonoma county?
Any up and coming beers/breweries (new in the last year or two) I should look out for?
I have no idea if it gets up there, but my guess is that it does. They distribute all over the rest of the Bay Area, so I'd be somewhat surprised if it didn't get up north too. If not, just hope across either bridge.

Cellarmaker is the only new brewery that I'm aware of, and I can't vouch for their stuff (yet).

To travelers without cars, it is possible to take a bus from SF to RR. It's a 2 hour ride on bus 101 and costs $11.25 now. However, service back to SF on the weekends ends before the first bus from SF gets to RR. It's really meant for people commuting from SR to SF and back. Check out the 70/71 bus on goldengatetransit.

All good suggestions. I'm pretty weak on the North Bay outside of RR, so that's why I missed those places. I'd need a writeup from you (or someone) on Taps because I know nothing about them.
Meh, living in Austin TX now so I don't think I can do the North Bay/Marin a whole lot of justice. TAPS doesn't seem to list their taps on their website, so they could be doing better.
Hopmonk has three locations, but two are kind of nearby RR.
My dad told me of 101 Brewing which is a block from Lagunitas. IDK if they have a tap room.

Last edited:
My dad's told me of 101 Brewing which is a block from Lagunitas. IDK if they have a tap room.
Unless they've improved dramatically in the last few months, 101 is absolutely a "skip". I'd rather spend my sobriety points on basically anything else.

Now that I think of it, there's a new Oakland/Berkeley brewery called Line 51, they're the same thing, I just haven't had anything from them that I'd want to drink again. If you're feeling adventurous, go for it, but I'd advise passing.

Mill Valley beerworks is making good-to-great beer, and the food is really excellent. Should be high for. Food and drink combo.

Bear Republic?
Bear Republic brewpub in Healdsburg is nice, have some 'brewpub taps' you won't see bottled or far from the brewpub I think. Good food too.
However, it's not in the bay area.
Also, the production brewery is farther North in Cloverdale.

By car:
It's possible to hit up BR, RR, and Lagunitas in one day by car (please use a DD), though picking just two and going a little deeper is suggested if you'll be back in Norcal again.
It's also possible to do a brewery crawl from BR to the GG bridge without going too far from Highway 101.

update: Cellarmaker is mehhhh. Their Nelson-hopped IPA is decent, but the petit sour and peach nightmare were disappointing.

update: Cellarmaker is mehhhh. Their Nelson-hopped IPA is decent, but the petit sour and peach nightmare were disappointing.

Stu for SF you should add monks kettle expensive but they do have an extensive list and sometimes really good stuff on tap/bottles. Food is good but again expensive.

Stu for SF you should add monks kettle expensive but they do have an extensive list and sometimes really good stuff on tap/bottles. Food is good but again expensive.

Also add Abbot's Cellar - same owners. Spent too much money there last night before dinner @ tacolicious.

Hah, I actually edited in Abbot's before reading this. I've still never made it out there, I really want to do one of their pairing dinners.

Nice - I wouldn't say (per your description) that it's more food-oriented; both the draft and bottle lists are quite extensive.

Nice - I wouldn't say (per your description) that it's more food-oriented; both the draft and bottle lists are quite extensive.
Well I meant that it's a sit-down restaurant as opposed to a bar that has some food. That's the impression I've gotten, anyway.

Well I meant that it's a sit-down restaurant as opposed to a bar that has some food. That's the impression I've gotten, anyway.

True. The food menus at both places are quite good as well, but you're right - AC is definitely more restaurant than bar.

It might be worth mentioning that Lagunitas closes relatively early. I think that's important info to know if people are thinking of doing a Lagunitas/RR/BR type crawl.

There's a new-ish bottle shop in Rohnert Park called BeerCraft. They have 50% off of a selected beer everyday, and have a pretty good selection. They also go on road trips to out of market distributors to get things like Great Divide, Epic and SoCal beers. Thursday night they have free tastings, which focus on a specific brewery.

There's a new-ish bottle shop in Rohnert Park called BeerCraft. They have 50% off of a selected beer everyday, and have a pretty good selection. They also go on road trips to out of market distributors to get things like Great Divide, Epic and SoCal beers. Thursday night they have free tastings, which focus on a specific brewery.

Without trying to be that guy, do they sample these for free to customers, or sell them?

Well, concerns like that are why I link to the pages.
True, though they close ridiculously early for a brewery. Even I forget about their early closing time. Thankfully Taps is only 5 minutes or so away. It's saved me numerous times.

Without trying to be that guy, do they sample these for free to customers, or sell them?
Not sure what you mean. Breweries bring in bottles and sometimes kegs. Samples are free (their license only allows 10 ounces per person or something like that), and of course there are bottles for purchase. It's usually nothing crazy, although Firestone Walker brought in verticles of their Anniversary ales and Parabola for their event.

I guess I took your post to mean that they drive to go buy beer out of distribution, and then resell it in their own shop, which is illegal everywhere except D.C.
I get what you're saying now. They do get out of our area beers, but they buy them from California based distributors, so technically I don't think it's illegal. They also go directly to CA brewers and buy from them. They do seem mindful of the laws, as I asked if they were planning on goin to places like Portland and pick up some beer. They said they couldn't do that because they couldn't bring beer across state lines and resell them

I get what you're saying now. They do get out of our area beers, but they buy them from California based distributors, so technically I don't think it's illegal. They also go directly to CA brewers and buy from them. They do seem mindful of the laws, as I asked if they were planning on goin to places like Portland and pick up some beer. They said they couldn't do that because they couldn't bring beer across state lines and resell them
It's not illegal. I've asked JT about this on numerous occasions. It's something about if beer isn't distributed in the region and you get it whole sale from the brewery.

In Marin, there is Baeltane. Tiny spot in Novato, doing some pretty good stuff. Also, I don't know if it's close enough, but there is Sante Adairius in the South Bay (Santa Cruz area), I live in Marin and it's more than worth the drive every week or two.

Liquid Bread Gastro Pub (campbell) taps rotate daily, occasionally has some rare beers.
Spread (campbell) Nice little deli with a great selection of bottles
Harry's Hofbrau (Saratoga) same as above
Good Karma (San Jose) Vegan spot with good bottle selection. and the food is not that bad
Orginal Gravity Pub House (San Jose) place is really small but they taps rotate daily and they have a lot of tap takeovers
Hermitage Brewing Tasting Room (San Jose) haven't been there yet but I have heard nothing but great things from this place.

I know there is more but this is all i know of as of yet, will update when i visit more places

Liquid Bread Gastro Pub (campbell) taps rotate daily, occasionally has some rare beers.
Spread (campbell) Nice little deli with a great selection of bottles
Harry's Hofbrau (Saratoga) same as above
Good Karma (San Jose) Vegan spot with good bottle selection. and the food is not that bad
Orginal Gravity Pub House (San Jose) place is really small but they taps rotate daily and they have a lot of tap takeovers
Hermitage Brewing Tasting Room (San Jose) haven't been there yet but I have heard nothing but great things from this place.

I know there is more but this is all i know of as of yet, will update when i visit more places
I'll add all of those except Hermitage to the list. The beer that I've had by them has been universally terrible so I'm loathe to add them to the list without someone who has actually been there recommending it.

I'll add all of those except Hermitage to the list. The beer that I've had by them has been universally terrible so I'm loathe to add them to the list without someone who has actually been there recommending it.

I know that Almanac (farm to barrell) brews out of there and has tastings for them. that's the only reason why i put them lol

Back